As part of your application, three reference reports must be submitted on your behalf (see exceptions** below).
References should be from qualified academic scholars attesting to, and documenting, an applicant’s potential for graduate level study/research.
Reference reports are submitted electronically by your referees through our electronic reference report system. We will not accept hard copy (paper) reference letters.
Reference Report Instructions:
1) Confirm that your referees are available and are willing to provide you with a reference
2) Confirm that the referee email address you will be submitting on the application is accurate
3) Be sure to review that all the referee information you have provided is correct* (any changes required after submitting your application, due to spelling errors or email address changes will significantly delay your application)
4) Once we have received your application, your referees will be emailed (to the email address that you provided) the electronic reference reports (within one week)
5) If you have listed the same referee for multiple program choices, your referees will receive separate electronic reference reports that are specific to each of the programs. Please inform your referee that they will be receiving separate emails for each of your program choices.
6) If we have not received the electronic reference reports back from your referees within 10 days of the initial email, a reminder email will be sent automatically to them.
7) You can monitor if we have received the electronic reference report through your Brock portal. This is updated automatically when your referees submit their reports.
You can refer to our FAQ section for additional reference information.
If you need to change/modify a referee (after you have submitted your web application) please follow the instructions listed in our FAQ section.
Keep in mind that requests to edit or change your referee information will result in a delay in processing your application.
References are confidential and may be verified for authenticity. References do not expire. It is the applicant's responsibility to inform the referees of the program deadline dates and to monitor their document status on their portal account to ensure that the reports have been submitted prior to the program deadline. Additional reminder emails will not be sent by the Faculty of Graduate Studies.
*Please note that only numeric characters are recognized in the telephone extension field.
· For applications to the MADS and Graduate Diploma in Applied Disability Studies programs, all three reference reports may be from professionals.
· For the MAcc and MBA programs, two of the three reference reports may be from professionals.
· For the MA in Applied Disabilities and MBE programs, one of the three reference reports may be from a professional for whom you have worked.
· For the MEd, MEd - Niagara College Cohort and MEd ISP, two reference reports are required and both may be from professionals. For the MA in Applied Linguistics (Bridged Entry), only two reference reports are required.